How to get to the Abbotsford Convent
1 St Heliers Street, Abbotsford
City of Yarra bike trails are gorgeous to ride along to get to the Abbotsford Convent, to find a bike trail map go to: http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Parking-roads-and-transport/Sustainable-transport/Bike-routes-and-maps/
The Capital City cycling and walking path passes the site. St Heliers St turn-off is opposite the entrance to the Collingwood Childrens Farm. You will find plenty of bike racks to at the “exit” point of the Convent car park. There are some bike racks within the Convent grounds however the majority is in the car park.
Melways reference 44 G5.
There is a large car park on St Heliers street. There is absolutely no vehicular access in the Abbotsford Convent site.
4 km from CBD
Victoria Park station on the Epping and Hurstbridge lines is the closest railway station. Please note that some services express past Victoria Park station. Once on Johnston St, walk east (away from the City) for around 12 minutes to Clarke St. Turn right into Clarke Street (the last right before the Yarra) and left into St Heliers St. Alternatively, buses travel regularly from Victoria Park Station down Johnston St.
From the City- the 200, 201 and 207 depart from Melbourne Central/ Lonsdale St in the city, run along Lygon St, Elgin St then Johnston St. Alight at Clarke Street bus stop. Turn right at Clarke St then turn left into St Heliers St. The 205 runs from Melbourne University via Elgin and Johnston St and past Clarke St.
For further information please call Metlink on 131 638 or see their journey planner here http://jp.metlinkmelbourne.com.au
Conditions of entry- as stated on the Abbotsford Convent Foundation website:
All visitors to the Abbotsford Convent are required to observe the following:
• The Convent site is a pedestrian zone;
• Dogs are welcome to accompany their owners onto the grounds and gardens of the Convent site but must be kept on a leash at all times and droppings must be picked up and removed. Other than guide dogs, animals are not permitted within the interior of any of the Convent buildings;
• Children are to remain under supervision at all times;
• All rubbish must be taken with you when you leave;
• The picking of foliage or playing in the garden beds is not permitted;
• During summer months snakes, lizards, bees and wasps are present in the garden. Please be respectful of our native wildlife;
• The use of candles, incense or fire of any kind is strictly prohibited throughout the site;
• Alcohol purchased from licensed premises at the Convent must not be consumed beyond the bounds of those premises.
Visitors enter the site at their own risk. The Abbotsford Convent Foundation will not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage or injury to persons or property incurred whilst in site. By entering the site, you agree to abide by these conditions.